THE AAIE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL BOARD LEADING TOGETHER CURRICULUM
The Curriculum at a Glance
v.3 March 4, 2020
LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITY... THE CHAIR/HEAD SHALL LEAD THE BOARD IN...
1. BUILDING AND SUSTAINING TRUSTING AND PRODUCTIVE RELATIONSHIPS
The Chair and Head develop and sustain a trusting and productive relationship with each other, with and among the Trustees and across the community. The Chair and Head enhance Board effectiveness by skillfully facilitating discussions, resolving conflicts, and building consensus.
2. UNDERSTANDING AND RESPECTING THEIR COMPLEMENTARY ROLES
The Chair and Head ensure that the roles and responsibilities of the Board and those of the Head are both understood in theory and respected in practice.
3. DISTINGUISHING BETWEEN POLICY AND PROCEDURE
The Chair and Head ensure that the Board understands the difference between Policy and Procedure, recognizing that policy is the Board’s work, delegating procedures to the administration.
4. EXERCISING FIDUCIARY OVERSIGHT
The Chair and the Head guide the Board in fulfilling its fiduciary responsibilities and confronting, clarifying, and solving problems.
5. BEING A STRATEGIC BOARD
The Chair and Head appropriately involve the Board in the development, implementation, and monitoring of the school's various plans, e.g., strategic, financial, facilities.
6. ASSESSING FOR IMPACT AND EFFECTIVENESS
The Chair and Head lead the board in identifying appropriate metrics and using them to measure success, fidelity to mission, and the effectiveness of the Board, the Chair, the Head, and the School.
7. EMPLOYING EXEMPLARY BOARD PRACTICES AND HONORING OPERATIONAL AGREEMENTS
The Chair and Head guide the board in using effective and efficient practices and in abiding by clearly articulated and agreed-upon operational norms in doing its work.
8. COMMUNICATING EFFECTIVELY
The Chair and Head support the Board by communicating effectively, providing appropriate information/reports, practicing the "no surprises" principle, and guiding the Board in appropriately engaging with the wider community.
9. BUILDING THE BOARD'S AND HEAD'S CAPACITIES
The Chair and Head sustain the Board through thoughtful succession planning, high-quality, ongoing professional development, and periodic self-assessment.
The AAIE International School Board Development Curriculum is a component of the AAIE Governance Suite by David Chojnacki and Rick Detwiler, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. Under this Creative Commons license, you are free to share this material — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.